As an avid airgunner, having the right optics can make all the difference in your shooting accuracy and enjoyment. While many novice shooters opt for low magnification scopes or even open sights, upgrading to a high magnification scope offers significant benefits that can really maximise your air rifle’s capabilities.
We explore why high magnification scopes are so important for airgun enthusiasts and help you understand what to look for when choosing one.
The Benefits of High Magnification
For airgun enthusiasts, having ample magnification is critical for achieving the best possible accuracy and performance. Below are some of the key benefits high zoom optics provide:
See your distant target in fine detail
The key advantage that high magnification scopes provide is the ability to precisely see your distant target in fine detail. This allows you to evaluate wind and other environmental conditions that can affect your shot’s trajectory.
Spot the smallest bullseye from a distance
With up to 32x or even 50x magnification, you can visually spot the smallest bullseye from afar and trace your pellet’s arc every step of the way after you squeeze the trigger. Lower powered scopes simply can’t provide the same level of visual precision at typical airgun ranges.
Read wind flags easier
Higher zoom makes reading wind flags easier at a distance and provides a clearer sight picture for optimal shot placement. This is extremely useful for hunting or target shooting where pinpoint accuracy is paramount.
Verify hits on target
High magnification allows you to visually verify hits on target. With a lower powered scope, it’s much harder to see those tiny pellet holes in paper or small game from far away. But with ample magnification, you can clearly inspect your impacts and adjust as needed.
Observe bullet drop compensation
With ample magnification, you can actually observe the arc of the pellet trajectory in flight. At lower magnifications, it’s impossible to trace the bullet drop at long ranges, but with high zoom, you can watch the pellet fall and adjust your holdover for various distances accordingly.
Features to Look For
When shopping for a high magnification scope, there are certain features that are must-haves:
- Adjustable parallax – This allows you to fine tune the parallax setting to match your optimal shooting distance. Parallax error can cause inaccuracy, so an adjustable sidewheel is essential.
- Fine windage/elevation adjustments – The turrets should offer precise, audible clicks for dialling in your point of aim.
- Illuminated reticle – Having an illuminated dot or crosshairs helps with target acquisition in low light shooting conditions. Red or green illumination with variable brightness is preferable.
- Large objective lens – A larger objective lens gathers more light to give you a brighter sight picture in dusk/dawn hours.
- Robust construction – Durable, waterproof construction is a must for reliability in the field.
- Zero reset turrets – The ability to re-index your windage and elevation dials to zero is convenient for field use after sighting in.
Unleash Your Airgun’s Potential at The Wolfman
If you’re ready to upgrade your air rifle’s scope for pinpoint accuracy, The Wolfman has you covered. We stock a wide array of tactical scopes, including adjustable, objective, illuminated, reticle, and fixed magnification scopes to take your shooting to the next level.
If you need assistance choosing an optic or just want advice from fellow airgun enthusiasts, don’t hesitate to contact The Wolfman. Our team is always happy to share their expertise to help customers make the right purchase.
With free UK delivery and unbeatable customer service, why shop for scopes anywhere else?